Family Guide to Galway
We have put together some suggestions to make your family’s visit to Galway as enjoyable as possible, courtesy of Mykidstime Guide. We are delighted to share with you some of the family friendly spots round our favourite city in the West of Ireland!
Visit www.mykidstime.ie for lots more suggestions for things to do while you are in Galway
Our Top Ten Things to do in Galway
- Explore the Galway City Museum – There are great views of the Claddagh from the upper floors (FREE)
- Hop on the Corrib Princess, tour the River Corrib and Lake. See what Galway looks like from the water
- Take a picnic out to Coole Park near Gort, visit the Autograph Tree and stand on the human sundial.
- Visit Millenium Park near the Cathedral with skateboarding area for the older kids and Playground for the younger kids
- Take a stroll along the Promendade at Salthill and follow our Family Trails
- Spend the day in Portumna, visit the Castle, the Playground, the wonderful Forest Park
- Try the Nature Trail at Brigit’s Garden
- Fly a Kite at Rinville Park, in Oranmore and stop by the great playground in the old castle orchard.
- Spend a few hours in Hipkidz in Briarhill – it’s like an activity version of a Giant Playstation
- Dress up in medieval costume and try archery at the Athenry Heritage Centre
Some more Indoor Suggestions for Galway
- Visit Galway Atlantaquaria for lots of fishy fun
- Leisureland at Salthill has three pools including kids pool with water slide and pirate ship
- Galway City Library has a wonderful children’s book section with toys and seats (FREE)
- Soft play areas – Busy Bees in Oranmore, Kardio Kids in Athenry, Play Town in Loughrea
- Take in a matinee at Eye Cinema, Wellpark.
Some more Outdoor Suggestions for Galway
- Lady’s Beach and Grattan beaches at Salthill (FREE)
- Playgrounds – see our favourites list below (FREE)
- Feed the swans at The Claddagh (FREE)
- Walk the length of the Salthill Promenade (don’t forget to kick the wall at the end, a good old Galway tradition)
- Take a walk by the river at Dangan, start off at the Sports grounds, head down the hill to the river and walk past the Teahouse (old restored ruin) and along to the NUI Galway campus. You’ll see lots of nature on the way.
- Combine a trek through Barna Woods with a stop at the Cappagh Park playground, (we love the great long slide!)
- Head for Ballyloughnane Beach at Renmore (take the road down the hill across from GMIT) and explore this long beach
- Take one of the East Galway Trails - download - http://galwayeast.com/family-activity-trails